Thursday, September 5, 2013

Broken English

After reading the passage Mother Tongue by Amy Tan; I feel as if I can truly relate to her in some ways. I spent most of my life with my grandmother she practically raised me. People classified her as having "broken" English as people did to Amy's mother; although they were a totally different nationality, my grandmother never finished school so she doesn't know all the rules of the English world. She will say things like "turn on the zinc , and wash them dern dishes", however when I correct she always tells me she loves the way she talks and I should stop trying to correct her. I just hate when she talks likes this in public and others stare and laugh at her, I'm not embarrassed by it at all, i just feel like everyone judges her because she doesn't speak the correct way. To this day I'm still learning to deal with and accept that , that is just how she speaks.


2 comments:

  1. I completely agree and understand where you're coming from. I have a grandmother who has broken English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, my grandmother also from a different region says some words very differently and sounds broken as well.

    ReplyDelete